Focus – A Bright, Bold, Mixed-Media Canvas!
(This post is part of my Focus Your Craft & Soul Blog Event – see the list of all the posts HERE!)
Focus on word that means something to you, like a word-of-the-year, by painting it inside a bright, bold, messy circle!
This mixed-media canvas certainly catches my eye each day now and reminds me to stay on track with my word for 2015!
The canvas I started with is just under 12″ square, and it’s a box canvas so that I don’t have to worry about framing it. I used Martha Stewart Satin Craft Paint, which is basically a kind of acrylic paint. Here’s the order I painted the circle in, leaving the paint to dry in between each layer…
1. Draw a pencil circle lightly on the canvas – I drew around a child’s plate.
2. Paint a wide yellow circle on top of the pencil.
3. Paint a blue circle on top of the yellow one – leaving the yellow edge showing.
4. Paint a red circle on top of the blue one – again leaving an edge showing.
5. Splatter yellow, blue, and red paint across the canvas. You don’t need to leave it to dry between colours, just do them all at once. Make sure you protect the surrounding areas as the paint may flick around the room.
6. Paint some sketchy black circles on top, making them more intense in the center and fading as the circles go outwards.
Next you can paint the inside circle with watered down acrylic paint or gesso, to help your word stand out from the background. Blend the edges of the gesso out with a baby wipe or wet piece of kitchen paper:
Flick some white paint or gesso across the canvas and leave it to dry. Then stamp a variety of icons around the circle using Stayz On black ink:
It’s easier to press the stamp on if you hold the canvas from behind, or bulk it out with something, so there’s something to press onto. Otherwise the canvas will just sink as you try to press the stamp on!
Once you’re happy with your stamps you can paint your word into the centre (or use alpha stickers if you are worried about painting letters):
I also added some enamel dots and gems – using Glossy Accents to stick them on as I didn’t think the adhesive that came on them would last very long on a canvas.
Make a home decor piece featuring a special word
Use a large circle on your background for your next project
Create colourful paint layers with black lines on top
What word would you put in the middle of this bright circle?
I’ll see you again in an hour!